Monday, 29 September 2008

Back to School

Well, not school, but you get the idea. My first day back at university (not that I actually get holidays) and several things are immediately obvious.

  • They keep making freshers younger just to wind me up
  • The queues never get any shorter
  • I'll still be working on this PhD when I'm ninety. Except I won't, because I'm finishing it this year. I'll just have to work harder. Maybe I'll have to promise no more novel length pieces of writing until it's done.
  • My computer doesn't have much longer. It does, it turns out, have a USB port, but is back from the days when people thought that was mostly just for printers. It doesn't have the drivers for actual USB stick functions. Anyway, the thing is hidden behind the back where I have to tip the whole console out of its cubby hole to get at it. And it's running slower these days. Probably time to upgrade. Like I can afford that after paying my tuition fees.
  • Fencing equipment supplier Leon Paul still haven't got the idea that we don't want to pay £100 for a mask or a jacket, not when one of their competitors is offering them for half that. On the other hand, they did send the fencing club some lovely posters that we will no doubt be using for advertising in tomorrow's attempt to part freshers from their cash. The AU's annual sports fayre, as it's otherwise known.

6 comments:

Still said...

That's no so funny about older computers! They laugh and call them dinosaurs! As they carry their cool little laptops doing homework on the run. Somewhere on the net you can download those drivers.

Thanks for the dictionary lesson. I made an adjustment for the flow.

Maybe you should do a photo site blog for your fencing classes so the rest of the world can gather up some interest and excitement about the sport.

stu said...

I was once in some fencing photos (apparently still available with a little looking in www.fencinginhull.com) The trouble is, looking at them showed me all the horrible ways I was doing things wrong.

Heather said...

I work at a University and I say they are definitely making them younger to wind us up. Bastards. (Opps! Sorry! Can I swear here?) By the way, you are a winner over at my Library Ladder blog so please email me your mailing address and I'll send you the book you won (The Blood-Dimmed Tide) once you've finished your PhD - just kidding!! hehe (nutellaqueen@hotmail.com)

stu said...

Of course you can swear here. I always want to leave the door open to the possibility that Ozzy Ozbourne might want to drop by at some point. You never know. It MIGHT happen.

trickylittleimp said...

But the thing with LP is all cachet for the mums 'n' dads who hope to be buying Team GB stuff (and getting sponsored) one day....Ole cynic that I am...

stu said...

Then they should probably be buying Allstar. Particularly with sabre, almost every top-notch fencer I know will buy that rather than Leon Paul, if they're spending their own money. As it happens, I'm prepared to shell out the extra for Leon Paul's maranging blade, having rejected their cheaper ones, but a couple of my friends have had particular problems with Leon Paul blades snapping easily and developing large areas of rust despite their best precautions.