Saturday, 23 August 2008

The End is (sort of) Nigh

I'm probably about ten to fifteen thousand words off completing the first draft of the novel, and about eight to ten from a completed version of the PhD. One thing I've noticed with both is that I've actually been slowing down as I get near the end. I don't think that's lack of interest as the initial rush peters out, because I was there with the PhD two years ago. Instead, I think I'm actually slowing down because I'm sorry to see the end of things I've been putting so much effort into. I know that I've been putting in the work in order to get to the end, but the thought of actually reaching it creates sudden thoughts of a big blank, unplanned space after it.

4 comments:

betweenplace said...

You're a few years ahead of me, Stu, but I soooo get this. Even now, the thought of finishing terrifies me. :\

stu said...

And the weird thing is that at the same time you've got the feeling that you really want to get it done.

Lisa Damian said...

I thoroughly admire your drive and ability in being able to write both a PhD dissertation and a novel at the same time. Either one alone is a major undertaking, but juggling both (and actually nearing the completion of each) is phenomenal!

stu said...

It probably helps that I'm part time on the PhD, which takes the pressure off a little.