Thursday, 24 July 2008

Keeping Track

I've got, by my standards at least, quite a bit of work out in the ether at the moment. A quick count up reveals something in the order of 38 poems, 3 short stories and 3 articles at various points along the submission-initial rejection-frantic reworking-eventual acceptance-publication trail. Keeping track of everything I've submitted to various places is a little awkward. In the end, I've settled for a rather mixed system of keeping my submission e-mails and letters, marking submitted pieces with OUT in large letters so I don't simultaneously submit by accident. This would all be rather less complicated, but I'm also keeping track of hundreds of pages of PhD, the novel I will (all right... might) get round to submitting some more, the sequel to it I wrote when I thought the thing was going to be published, and the comic fantasy thing I'm working on at the moment. It's all getting a bit complicated.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

It sounds like you're turning out a ton of material though. Always a great thing! Can you rub off on me? My writing speed is slooooooow.

stu said...

But sometimes slower means more careful. Also, some of this stuff is me clearing a backlog of stuff I've built up over the last couple of years.

Andi said...

Wow - what a great list of submissions you have . . Have you tried a spreadsheet to track your submissions? I'm working that up now, and so far it's been much better than my random method of notecards.

stu said...

It's probably worth a try.