Thursday, 10 July 2008

Holidays


  • Holidays are annoying. Other people's holidays at least. I would apologise to anyone on holiday, but then they're probably not reading this. That's part of it. I like people to be where I expect them to be, particularly since their holidays invariably coincide with the moment I need to get hold of them most. The other part is that they're invariably in caravans in front of me, doing about 40mph.

Things I've been reading in the last few days: The Picture of Dorian Grey (Oscar Wilde), Little Myth Marker (Robert Asprin), Hit or Myth (Robert Asprin), The Old Man and the Sea (Hemmingway). Asprin's Myth Inc series doesn't get the attention it deserves. In comic fantasy terms, it's as good as the stuff put out by the likes of Terry Pratchett and Tom Holt, but doesn't seem to get much shelf space in bookshops these days.

2 comments:

Andi said...

The Old Man and the Sea quite literally turned me off of anything and everything Hemingway from 9th grade and on halfway through college. A Moveable Feast is what eventually brought me back. Oy!

stu said...

I actually really enjoyed it. The emphasis on waning power, pride, and temporary triumph through sheer will seems typical Hemmingway, but the ending, with scavengers moving in to take away that victory, seems quite powerful and a nice (well, not nice) metaphor for the human condition.