Sunday, 1 June 2008

The Waiting Game

I hate the waiting after you've submitted something. I've been submitting quite a lot (by my standards at least) of stuff recently; poetry, articles, a short story or two. I can't remember exactly what, of course, since my memory is quite hit and miss. I can remember annoying details about the evidence for prebendal land in Domesday Book, but not where I've submitted things.

A couple of things I do remember have been dormant for quite a while now, and I'm wondering whether to politely inquire as to whether they were actually received. In one case, I received a reply saying that the author of a website would use one of my poems as soon as he remembered to update it, but that was a couple of months back now. Perhaps I should e-mail to check if he's remembered.

The newly begun novel is proving much harder to write than the first few. Partly, I think it has to do with the shift to 3rd person POV. Partly, I suspect it's because I'm doing better things with the writing. Mostly, of course, it's because I'm a more well balanced, stable human being at the moment, and so have a disinclination to throw myself into an all consuming novel writing mode. And yes, compared with what I've been like at points in the past year, this is normal.

No comments: