Friday, 20 June 2008

Stuff

  • I've started reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer, and if it's half as good as everyone keeps saying, it should be a good read.
  • After complaining about the unsettling effect of the occasional long term silences over submissions, I've had two contacts just days after submitting work. One's a regular thing, and was accepted. The other was just a note to say that they'd received it, and when it would probably be decided on, but even so, it's better than wondering if what I sent had got lost in the ether somewhere.
  • I didn't get as much done as I'd planned today. The PhD stuff went slowly, which meant I didn't get chance to write anything on the fiction. Hopefully, the weekend will produce more.
  • Philip K. Dick's Cantanta 140 isn't as good as I thought it would be. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was ok, but this was too preachy, wrapped the plot up in far too much of a hurry, and really felt forced most of the way through.

4 comments:

April Boland said...

Let us know how the Meyer book is. It was just recommended to me recently.

Stephanie said...

I think the Meyer books will be my next light read, but I'm hoping to borrow them... from my best friend's 13 year old sister... I don't know what that says about me.

stu said...

Will do, April

Nothing that it doesn't say about me too, Stephanie

Andi said...

Can't wait to hear what you think of The Host. I have a copy on its way to me now.