Monday, 23 June 2008

Stephanie Meyer, The Host

The electricity was off for about ten hours yesterday, thanks to the mild gales wandering accross Britain. Annoying in that I couldn't get any work done, but at least I managed to finish The Host by Stephanie Meyer. What an amazing book. She's taken a fairly traditional sci fi/horror theme of invading alien parasites that control your brain and turned it into a wonderfully human story about the relationship between Wanderer, the 'soul' in question, Melanie, the human host, and a group of remaining uninfected humans including two of the people Melanie loves most. It says a lot about what it means to be human, both good and bad, and asks exactly what it is that makes us ourselves. It is, of course, beautifully written, with a clarity of prose that means that Meyer's beautiful language never draws attention to itself for its own sake. It's certainly well worth reading.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow, I'm going to have to read that one. I always say that the best Sci-Fi examines what makes us human.

Lisa Damian said...

I loved this book too. Meyer described it as "science fiction for people who don't like science fiction," but I agree that most good science fiction deals with essentially human themes, almost sociological or at the very least psychological in nature.

Lisa Guidarini said...

This was one of my daughter's favorite books, and it led to her reading the second. I'm getting a review copy of the next one, but not 'til just before its release. The publisher's being very closed-mouthed about it. Harrumph.