Monday, 16 June 2008

Making a (tiny) difference

Who said my PhD research had no effect on anything? (Actually, I think that might have been me). Thanks to me being a full blown, anorak wearing pedant and sending them an e-mail a few months back, those nice people over at medievalwriting.com(http://medievalwriting.50megs.com) have chanced their definition of a prebend by THREE WHOLE WORDS. Ah... the power!!! Now, all of you (all right, both of you) who've ever cared about a truly accurate definition of a minor element of the medieval church finally have one. Of course, I've now got to re-write the section in the PhD where I complain about the lack of such a definition.

5 comments:

Andi said...

Way to make a difference, Stu. I say that both sarcastically and seriously. Small changes matter, and while I will not take the time to read the change in definition, I imagine it does your heart good to see it.

April Boland said...

I don't know what this means, but go you!

stu said...

In some ways, these are the perfect tributes to my 'achievement' since it's in an area that no sensible person would want to read about, and which almost no one understands.

Lisa Guidarini said...

I find your topic fascinating, but to be honest I'm an ignoramus on it. I love the medieval period and find it completely fascinating. Wouldn't want to live there, what with that nasty plague, lack of internet and sewage in the streets and all, but it's surely interesting stuff.

stu said...

The period is interesting, the translation less so.