Thursday, 5 June 2008

Favourite Authors Meme

Heather over at A High and Hidden Place tagged me with this. It is, amongst other things, about the only time you'll ever see the American-English spelling of the word favourite on my blog.

1. Who’s your all-time favorite author, and why?

If I may be permitted a poet, then my obsession with the work of Sophie Hannah is probably pretty clear. She does things with metrical, rhyming, light poetry that go far beyond what those things are usually thought to be capable of. If not, then we're probably talking Neil Gaiman, for his ability to take such strange, awkward ideas and make wonderful stories from them.

2. Who was your first favorite author, and why? Do you still consider him or her among your favorites?

Are we really about to start relying on my memory? I can remember reading a few of Robert Asprin's books in school, and I've snapped them up for the nostalgia value when I've seen them in second hand bookshops, so that might count. Then again, it might easily be Pratchett.

3. Who’s the most recent addition to your list of favorite authors, and why?

Stephanie Meyer. Presumably you don't want the obvious answer that I've only just read her work. I suspect it's simply that I'm a sucker for very well written modern fantasy.

4. If someone asked you who your favorite authors were right now, which authors would first pop out of your mouth? Are there any you’d add on a moment of further reflection?

Let's see. All of those above, of course. On the fantasy front, Kim Harrison and Jim Butcher. Kathy Reichs for her crime fiction. Christopher Marlowe's plays. Robert Twigger and Gideon Haigh for their non-fiction. I'd have to think a lot harder for much in the way of literary fiction. I enjoy it, but it's more a question of individual books than particular authors.

5. Tagged:

3 comments:

Heather said...

I really need to get to all those Kathy Reichs books I mooched. I'm thinking of taking them to the beach next month, but I would like to read the first one before I take all those books only to find I don't like them! As much as I love Bones though, I think I will.

Thanks for doing the tag!

stu said...

I'm sure you will. The details are different, but the tone is much the same.

Lisa Damian said...

We have a lot of overlap of 'favorite' authors!