Monday, 26 May 2008

Writing Things

A quick response from the publisher, saying that they're not considering new material at the moment. At least I found out before I sent them anything more than a query. On to the next one, I guess.

Writing to a stronger plan than usual is working out fairly well at the moment, letting me concentrate more on the way I choose to show what's happening, rather than on what's going on. The only slight problem is remembering to stick to it. I almost made my main character considerably more unpleasant than he actually is yesterday, but managed to pull it back in time. Seriously flawed I can live with, totally obnoxious I can't.

I also got a poem written last night. I've decided to try writing a cluster of poems linked by a common theme, mostly to see if I can. I want to see if, instead of waiting around for inspiration, I can go out and hunt it down. Now all I need is a suitably large net. No, hang on, that's butterflies, isn't it? Not that I've ever gone butterfly collecting. They look better flying about, and they give the cats something to chase.

2 comments:

April Boland said...

I'm thinking of entering this... thought of you:

http://www.trellismagazine.com/contest.html

stu said...

Thanks for mentioning this, I think I might give it a go. Now, to write a bunch of villanelles, decide on June 14th that they're all rubbish, and send something I've already written.