Sunday, 27 April 2008

Villanelle 2

It occurs to me that I wasn't terribly clear in my attempts to describe the villanelle. In an effort to clarify things then (and not at all because I enjoy subjecting people to silly poetry) I've written one. I assure you, I do occasionally write serious poetry. Honestly. It just isn't here.

The Woman Who Made Houses Out of Sticks

The woman who made houses out of sticks
Wouldn’t work with breezeblocks, stone or mud
I think she had an allergy to bricks

When there was a house to build or fix
She’d show up with a stock of pre-split wood
The woman who made houses out of sticks

She couldn’t point or tile or grout or mix
Up concrete like another builder could
I think she had an allergy to bricks

Despite her lack of other building tricks
Her homes turned out exactly as they should
The woman who made houses out of sticks

They call her odd and on that score she’s quick
To point out that she’s been misunderstood
That she just has and allergy to bricks

But now the national housing timebomb ticks
She’s lauded by the great and by the good
The woman who made houses out of sticks
Is thankful for her allergy to bricks

2 comments:

April Boland said...

I love villanelles! Great job.

I love the one, I think it's called "Villanelle," the one that repeats "it is the pain, the pain endures" Do you know that one?

stu said...

I haven't read it, but will look it up immediately. Any idea who it's by?