Sunday, 9 March 2008

Short Story Sunday

I'm having to find a way of writing this that doesn't include the words 'England cricket team' because I suspect they will induce a rant. Suffice it to say that the 1st Test against New Zealand did not go well.

I read the Tom Holt short story 'Pizza to Go' earlier, as part of a general short story phase. Like most of his work it was very funny, though even he has trouble making a time travel based plot work without asking awkward questions. I think the Neil Gaiman story 'Shoggoth's Old Peculiar' is next on my list for re-reading, because if I remember rightly the combination of Lovecraftianisms, quirky English villages and real ale is a good one.

2 comments:

Terry Finley said...

How did you find these
stories?

Terry Finley

http://terryrfinley.blogspot.com/

stu said...

An assortment of short story collections, mostly. The last two both appear in The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy, which has all sorts of good stuff in it.