Tuesday, 25 March 2008

Inspiration

The relationship between inspiration, hard work and self control seems an odd one. One the one hand, my favourite writing moments are the ones where I'm inspired; where words just seem to flow out by the truckload and the main challenge is to write fast enough. Yes, it still needs revision, but you're not fighting for every word of the first draft. The only downside is that from time to time it feels like you absolutely have to get something down, even though you're exhausted at the time.

But moments like that are rare, which is why most writers get into this business of setting writing hours or trying to write a certain amount every day. It's certainly a worthwhile thing, but I find that it only works well for me if I'm not too picky about what the thing is that I get done. I might be hoping for an article, but if I can't get the next chapter of the novel out of my head, there's not much point trying to force things. Sometimes though, I seem to get stuck. For at least the past couple of weeks I've been trying to come up with an article for next month's Estella's Revenge. Now deadline day has arrived, and I have to admit I've got nothing. For some reason, I just haven't been able to put a decent article together.

No comments: