Wednesday, 20 February 2008

PhD writing

I've finally gotten some more work done on the PhD. It seems to come in fits and starts as work and research percolate into ideas for the thesis. Although in terms of words it's only the length of a long novel (100 000) it's infinitely harder than writing fiction, probably because of the constant need to check facts and build arguments. Making stuff up is definitely more fun.

In an effort to try out graphic novels, I've just finished Neil Gaiman's 'The Wake'. Coming in at the tenth book in the Sandman series probably wasn't a good idea, as I hadn't much of a clue what was going on. Trying to play catch up with the plot while Gaiman was being his usual odd self didn't work out that well. Perhaps I should try starting somewhere near the beginning.

England's cricket team have somehow contrived to tie the 4th one-dayer against New Zealand after scoring 340. It was fun to watch, but I'm a little disappointed that they seem to be leaving out Graham Swann the moment the boundaries are short. Owais Shah showed that even a part time spinner can be awkward, and this policy of dropping the spinner seems to reflect the distrust of them at the heart of the English game. Too often, they seem to be in teams as an afterthought. Maybe that's just me being bitter, since I'm a leggie myself, though I've been lucky enough recently to find a captain who appreciates that not all bowlers need to hurl a cricket ball down as fast as possible.

No comments: