Saturday, 23 February 2008

More important things

I've been doing another round of edits on the second novel. It's amazing how easy it is to miss things the first time round, but then the first one took maybe half a dozen redrafts before I was satisfied.

I've also been playing around with free poetry after reading Tracy Ryan's The Willing Eye. Normally I stick to metrical stuff, not least because of a penchant for light (not to mention silly) poetry. But reading this has inspired me a little. Just a quick question to anyone reading. When was the last time you bought (not borrowed, stole or got given) a book of poetry? Almost everyone seems to go through a phase of writing the stuff, but if they also went through a phase of buying it, good poetry might be easier to come by.

A musical point that also (sort of) connects to writing. A friend of mine who plays the piano has been trying to learn jazz after years of classical piano. I heard him play the other night, and while he has the usual technical ability, he hasn't got the hang of making the stuff swing yet. Too often, when playing music or when writing, it's easy to get caught up in technique and forget about more fundamental things. One without the other doesn't work that well.

2 comments:

Lisa Guidarini said...

Hey, Stu, I have a good writing exercise for you. Write my column for me, wouldya? It's due this afternoon. Any literary-related topic's okay. No word limit.

No, I didn't think so. But you can't blame a girl for trying.

Well, you could.

There goes that theory.

stu said...

It took me enough effort to write my own piece, thanks. I'm sure something will show up.